Gastric Band Surgery is one of a series of weight loss surgical procedures. The surgeon places a band around the upper part of your stomach. Your stomach will become smaller like a pouch to hold food. So it’s can limit the amount of food that you take. You feel fuller faster after eating a small portion of food.
Plus, it is approved to use as a weight loss treatment by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
1. What is a gastric band?
Gastric band is a soft adjustable silicone band that was used to hold your stomach. It will create two chambers. One is a small pouch (upper), one is a big pouch (lower). There is a narrow opening between the upper pouch and lower pouch for food restriction.
Through this, your clinician can make a periodic adjustment to your gastric band. Based on your weight loss, food cravings, or any other physical reaction that they seem needed.
2. What is the result of Gastric Banding?
The result of gastric banding is widely varied. It can lead to 35% – 45% of weight loss. For example, someone who is 100 pounds can lose weight up to 35 – 45 pounds after gastric banding surgery. However, it still depends on the person itself. Because gastric banding is not a quick fix for obesity. You still need to diet and exercise after this surgery. If you do not, it may lead to another problem like complications or poor weight loss.
3. Gastric Banding Procedure
People who want to make this surgery should be mentally stable and not dependent on illegal drugs and alcohol. The doctor then will check your BMI (body mass index) to measure whether you are fit or not to take this weight loss surgery. Normally its for people with a BMI of 40 and more from their ideal weight. Or a BMI 35 or more with a serious medical condition that can be improved with weight loss. As an example, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or others.
These procedures can be performed using minimally invasive surgery. The surgery is done using a tiny camera that is placed in your stomach and the surgeon will place the instrument need to perform the surgery. Gastric banding surgery usually will take about 1 hour and requires a one night stay in the hospital.
4. The benefit of Gastric Banding Surgery
It is being considered as the safest and the least invasive weight loss surgery. This procedure also can be reversed, at any time, if necessary. It’s also less painful than open surgical procedures. The other advantage includes:
- A possibility of long term weight loss.
- Reduce the risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, urinary incontinence and other conditions related to obesity.
- Faster recovery time.
- Smaller scar.
- No loss of nutrient absorption.
5. What are the side effects?
Like any surgical procedure, potential risk and complication can occur. But the risk of death due to gastric banding surgery is 1 in 3000. Although all these possibilities rarely happen, it’s very important if you are aware of them:
- Nausea and vomiting. These can often be reduced by adjusting the banding tightness.
- Gastric band erodes through the stomach, whether it slip or mechanical problem (if this happen, it must be removed)
- The stomach may slip up through the band, or the port shift. If this happens, you may need urgent surgery. According to Colombiasurgery.org, between 15 and 60% of patients need re-operation for implant malposition, erosion, frequent vomiting, or weight loss failure. Which is high!
- Infection in the port, you may need antibiotics or surgery.
- Vomiting from eating more than your pouch can hold.
- Other minor surgical complications such as wound infections or minor bleeding. The percentage may be less than 10% of all the time.
Other than gastric banding surgery you can actually try another solution. It was called Gastric banding Hypnotherapy. Gastric Band Hypnotherapy works by convincing your subconscious mind or reprogramming your brain that you are actually having a gastric banding surgery. It looks like a joke, but people actually do this technique. And it surprisingly worked!
This technique has been back up by multiple studies published in renowned medical journals. I’ve already written a long review about this program. You can check it out the article here: Neuro Slimmer System Review.